(Mr. B. Murray, Waste Manager, attended in connection with this item.)
The Director of Resources and Fleet updated the Committee on Waste Collections Management and Performance. This included an overview and update in respect of the following key issues:
· Waste Performance and City Recycling Rates – 2021/22 and 2022/23 Year to Date at Q2;
· Waste Framework Update;
· Inner City Recycling Scheme Update;
· Carpet Recycling Scheme;
· Reuse of Laptops and Electrical Equipment Scheme;
· Pre-loved Toys Scheme;
· Diversion of (Bulky Household) wooden items from landfill;
· Feasibility studies for Brown Bin and Glass Collection expansion;
· Community Repaint Scheme,
· Update in terms of Infrastructure and Behavioural Change;
· Update in regard to information Technology including the Report-it App, Elogii App and QRT App;
· Operational Update;
· HVO fuel trial; and
· Inter Council / DAERA Collaboration.
A Member welcomed the HVO fuel trial, specifically the fact that the HVO would not include palm oil.
Following a query in regard to the Council’s kerbside recycling collection schemes, the Director confirmed that a feasibility study on Option 5 was currently underway and advised that Party Group Briefings would be held in due course, prior to a report being submitted to the Strategic Policy and Resources Committee.
Following questions regarding the promotion of the laptop recycling scheme and the need to progress the pedestrianisation of Palmerston Road Recycling facility, the Director advised that update reports would be submitted in due course in respect of both matters.
The Director also drew the Members’ attention to the proposed Community Repaint Scheme at HWRCs. She explained that the Community Repaint Scheme was a UK wide paint reuse network, sponsored by Dulux, that aimed to collect leftover paint and redistribute it to benefit communities, charities and individuals in need at an affordable cost. She advised that the first stage in establishing the project was the drafting of a Service Level Agreement (SLA) and she drew the Members’ attention to a copy of the SLA which had been attached as an appendix to the report.
The Members noted that subject to agreement of the SLA, discussion would take place regarding the practicalities of introducing a scheme, along with consideration of the potential financial assistance with a view to commencing the scheme at the start of April 2023.
Discussion also ensued regarding the operational decision that had been taken to cancel some bank holiday collections over the Christmas period due to difficulties experienced with lower than usual driver numbers to cover the holiday period. The Director assured the Members that a full and through analysis of the problems was currently being undertaken with a view to ensuring that similar problems were avoided in the future.
During discussion a Member raised the problematic parking of vehicles in streets which was also creating issues with missed bin collections.
The Committee noted that it had been agreed at the January meeting of Council to call a special meeting of the People and Communities Committee to discuss to discuss issues around waste collection and it subsequently agreed to invite representatives from both the PSNI and DfI to a special meeting to discuss the difficulties created through the problematic parking of vehicles.
The Members were advised that this issue was on the agenda as a separate item and would be discussed further in the meeting.
The Committee noted the comprehensive update report and:
· approved the SLA for the Community Re-Paint scheme; and
· noted that it had been agreed at the January meeting of Council to call a special meeting of the People and Communities Committee to discuss to discuss issues around waste collection. The Committee subsequently agreed to invite representatives from both the PSNI and DfI to this meeting to discuss the difficulties created through the problematic parking of vehicles.