The Brexit Committee will be responsible for researching, monitoring and reviewing the financial, resource or operational impact upon the Council and the district as a result of the UK’s leaving the European Union and for making recommendations to Council on such issues (or to the relevant Standing Committee where appropriate).
Its specific functions include:
· Articulating the Belfast specific issues to be considered as part of the negotiation and transition arrangements;
· The continuous monitoring of progress and announcements around Brexit;
· Influencing and contributing to regional considerations of the implications of Brexit on both the work of the Council and on the district;
· Identifying any actions the Council may take to mitigate any adverse impacts arising and capitalising on any opportunities as a result of Brexit;
· Reviewing changes to legislation arising out of Brexit and analysing the likely impact which they may have upon the delivery of council services;
· Fostering and maintaining positive relations and cultural links with the EU;
· Maintaining and promoting social cohesion within the district, post Brexit;
· Monitoring the impact on migrant workers, skills gaps and issues arising with regard to various sectors in the labour market;
· Financial and budget assumptions and implications for the district arising out of Brexit;
· Identifying the implications for EU grant funding and alternative funding opportunities;
· Seeking to influence decisions with regard to continuing access to and distribution of EU funds (including Peace, Culture and Interreg programmes);
· Ensuring the ability of Belfast to achieve the objectives, as set out within the Belfast Agenda;
· Ensuring the ability of Belfast to continue to attract and retain investment and grow the rate base;
· Ensuring the ability of Belfast to increase trade with existing and potential trade partners (access to supply chains / import and export issues); and
· Hearing evidence from other parties.
Support officer: Ms. Carolyn Donnelly, Democratic Services Officer.
Legal and Civic Services